* As reported by F.O. “Rep” Repplier in 1956
Getting to Denver was even more complicated in 1919 than it is now, but with less traffic. For years, the businessmen of the Rotary Club, many of whom held public office, sought to improve connections with Denver so Boulder could get more of the tourist market. As they do now, Texans and others came to Chautauqua, and tourists from many other areas came to Colorado but found it hard to get to Boulder.
In those days the dirt road to Denver headed east, then north around Valmont Hill, and east again to a point due north of Lafayette, then south to the big city.
There was no bus line; from 1908 to 1926 the Denver & Interurban Railroad, the Galloping Goose, as the students called it, connected Denver and Boulder via Westminster, Broomfield, and Louisville, with connections during the summer to Eldorado Springs.
It entered town through the campus, then south of the high school athletic field, across Broadway, then back across Broadway and eventually to the Depot at 14th and Water streets. Water Street was later renamed Canyon, and after two moves, the 1890 Depot today houses a restaurant at Boulder Junction. One snowy day, the Goose slid into a train that was crossing Broadway. Fortunately there were no serious casualties.
And later, came the Turnpike.